Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Twilight

So today I watched Twilight. I haven't read the books for the following reasons. I refuse to buy into the hype and therefore refuse to buy the books. The waiting list at my local libraries is longer than the IMDB list of Twilight goofs, and my friend's younger sister is the only person I know that owns them is super protective of them and won't lend them out.

So the movie.

I thought it was amazingly pretty. As you would expect from the Northern parts of the United States. The colours are amazing and you can practically feel the cold whipping against rosy cheeks.
The actors are all gorgeous or interesting looking.
The Gorgeous:Robert Pattinson
Kristen Stewart
Jackson Rathbone

The Interesting:
Peter Facinelli
And it was very cool to see Nikki Reed of Thirteen fame (which she wrote about her OWN LIFE) all grown up and still playing the bitch.
And the "Apple Butt" guy from Stick It
BUT
There were so many things in it that disappointed me. I found the story to have a really weird pace that I just could not get into. Whilst Robert Pattinson is amazing looking, I don't think he can act. He seems SO stilted and unsure. Upon further reading it seems as though 'Edward has been 17 since the early 1900's and that's why he sometimes talks funny, because he sometimes uses past ism's'. However this is not what I'm talking about, and I noticed none of that, which disappointed me because it could have been a great quirk. He was so stiff and restrained and it distracted me from what was happening.
Bella: not at all likeable. She bases her love on Edward purely on looks (NOT a great thing to pitch to teenagers Meyer, like it's not hard enough to be a teenager already, you're reinforcing that to get anywhere in life, you have to be amazing looking. Which most of us aren't). Sure, he becomes this unrealistic, romantic enigma and yeah every girl wants to be told that they are the reason a man lives. But again, most men don't think like that, even if they do feel that way, they'll never tell you.
I KNOW, I hear you scream, It's fantasy/fiction etc. NOT THE POINT.

I also think it's fascinating that everyone speaks about how PERFECT Robert Pattinson is for the role of Edward. But he was not Meyers' first choice. Which means that there could be a million 'Edward's' out there. Think about it.

Parts I loved:
When they play baseball. Take one great Muse song, add a wicked baseball pitch on the top of a mountain that is surrounded by amazing trees and thunderous clouds and lightning, add a pitcher that moves like a ballerina and some cool special effects and you have an amazing scene.

When Bella and Edward first kiss. Somehow they managed to get this absolutely perfect. The nervousness, the anticipation, the desire and the apprehension. That is absolutely how it feels.

One more thing I didn't like. At the prom when Bella and Edward dance under the fairy lit rotunda it is an exact take off of the same scene in A Cinderella Story with Hilary Duff. And during this 7 minutes Bella's dress changes colour. This shits me.

Anyway, I will probably end up reading the books at some stage. I hear that Bella and Edward get married and have the sexes and I'd be interested to read Stephanie Meyers' Mormon take on this. And imagining Rob Pattinson doing the dirty is some kind of wonderful. I do like a man that dresses well.
The End

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Right, I'm sold on smoking.
Quick, someone get me a packet of (Brand Name Suppressed)!
Seriously, how old's this kid? I'm starting to feel a bit pervy. He's our age, right? RIGHT?

Caity said...

He is almost exactly 6 months older than me. Sah-Weet it's legal!

Stephanie said...

So, I think it's time for an update. I'm just saying...Also, I posted about Molly Ringwald's attractiveness today. So, yeah...Put THAT in yr pipe and smoke it. Looking forward to Sunday crafternoon.